+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do they work out points

Retired Jelly Baby Baldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Madadd
    so are points awarded for open? And are there and points awarded for team events??

cheers

add
    Have a read of London Irish's post #5 on page 1. It covers opens specifically.

No - team events do not attract points for the ordinary domestic circuit, although I believe that there is a world team ranking system based on national team results.

Cheers Baldric
    I was a little (completly) confused by LI's post so I missed it.

add

Can somebody explain the logic of adding points from each comp together, up to a maximum of 6, rather than taking the average points per competition?

Seems strange that somebody that scored 30 points in each of 6 competitions would be ranked as highly as somebody that scored 180 points in one.

Member Junkie is on a distinguished road Junkie's Avatar

It seems like a good way of encouraging people to enter events without forcing them to do hundreds.

If the average of all the competitions entered was taken the top fencers would probably only enter one or two events a year if they were happy with their performance at the U.K. nationals or Bristol. This would make the smaller opens even smaller and would unnecissarily disadvantage someone who had a bad day or was injured at the time of one of the major events.

If the total number of points earnt was used then the top fencers would have to fence in tons of small competions each year in order to maintain thier ranking which doesnt really allow them to concentrate on raising their game so they can compete at a world level.

Personally I think six events might be a little high and the ranking list would be just as accurate if only the top four or five events were counted. This would reduce the costs of doing a competitive season for high and middle ranked fencers as they would not be presured into entering as many competitions.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie
    Personally I think six events might be a little high and the ranking list would be just as accurate if only the top four or five events were counted. This would reduce the costs of doing a competitive season for high and middle ranked fencers as they would not be presured into entering as many competitions.
    At one point it did go down to 4 events per year, I think.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Senior Member randomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud ofrandomsabreur has much to be proud of randomsabreur's Avatar

Used to be 4 domestic + 4 foreigns I think, but that meant that going to a couple of smaller foreign events and getting minor points could improve your ranking.

I think that the current 6 of which up to 3 can be international is better as everyone is working from the same number of competitions. Fewer competitions counting would mean either that fewer foreign competitions could count (not ideal for separation at the top end of the rankings where one marginally fluky result at and international could outweigh consistent performances across the season) or that there would be no (ranking related at least) incentive for the top fencers to attend domestic competitions other than the nationals, which would be counter productive to improving the standard of the fencers just below the very top.

I am not sure what the plan is for the reorganisation of the calendar, but at present fencers are effectively forced to produce results on particular occasions (Nationals, Bristol, Hamlet for WS all had NIF > 100) as none of the other competitions offer the same level of points. The next tier (70-90 Nif for WS) only included Welsh, Birmingham and Cole - 6 major domestics. Missing any of those makes life much more interesting and brings international results and L8s at smaller (NIF < 60) events into play.

Of course one big result can make a lot of difference *looks at own results and winces* and can lead to being in the top 10 despite making a complete mess of one event and missing 4 of the other biggest domestic events of the season! Look at my ranking for an example...
    Last Competition: Bristol L8
    Next Competition: Dunno

Mavis Thornton pinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond repute pinkelephant's Avatar

It used to be 4 domestic plus 2 foreign, but was changed to 6 of any flavour a few years ago.

Forum Rabbit stephen is on a distinguished road stephen's Avatar

Hi pinkelephant

Sorry just seen your post, for clarification if you check senoir rules in the introduction you find point 4 covers this.

4. The relevant results will be the fencerís best SIX results of which no more than three results may be from overseas competitions.

Subject to a few exceptions for special circumstances.
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he switched to full auto.

Member Kepster will become famous soon enough Kepster's Avatar

Question I got asked by one of the beginners at Uni & I'm not sure of the answer:

If a comp is run with, for example, mixed sabre, can ranking points be awarded for foil & epee (which are run as seperate men's/women's events)?

Senior Member rpryer is a jewel in the roughrpryer is a jewel in the roughrpryer is a jewel in the rough

There are points for the York Open in the foil ranking spreadsheet - York has mixed sabre, so I guess the answer is yes.

can any1 tell me some gud techniqes used in fencing. I everytime stuck in National level competetion in sabre in India. Everytime those guys of state manipur, Rajasthan or the army takes away the medals.

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rahul999rap View Post
    can any1 tell me some gud techniqes used in fencing. I everytime stuck in National level competetion in sabre in India. Everytime those guys of state manipur, Rajasthan or the army takes away the medals.
    Go talk to your coach. There is no magic bullet to fencing, no perfect botte.

Member RX is a name known to allRX is a name known to allRX is a name known to allRX is a name known to allRX is a name known to allRX is a name known to all RX's Avatar

Kian

Heard rumours you had the perfect botte.......
    Michael Ruaux
    Club Chair Rivington Park Fencing Club

Senior Member TomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    Go talk to your coach. There is no magic bullet to fencing, no perfect botte.
    Feed not the trolls, nor the spambots.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kepster View Post
    Question I got asked by one of the beginners at Uni & I'm not sure of the answer:

If a comp is run with, for example, mixed sabre, can ranking points be awarded for foil & epee (which are run as seperate men's/women's events)?
    Yes, provided then comp is BFA registered and on the calendar.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RX View Post
    Kian

Heard rumours you had the perfect botte.......
    It's all those squats.

+ Reply to Thread