Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: designs on masks

designs on masks

posted this on US site - they don't know the answer...

What is the rule regarding the designs you can have on masks and equipment?

At a recent competition, 5 Nations, a sabreur from Scotland looked like something out of Braveheart, with a blue and white St Andrews cross on his lame and mask.

A sabreaur from Wales had red dragons all over his lame.

You can now buy masks with national colours on the mesh

is there an FIE rule?

(in fairness, the fencers mentioned were able to carry it off as they were pretty awesome - words similar to "clucking bell" came to mind when i went onto the piste..... )
    Attack, and you will be parried
    Parry, and you will be deceived

Fencing in Ireland: www.irishfencing.net

You have to get the mask approved by the F.I.E. if you want to use them in a-grades.
    The Braveheart mask was done at LPaul and was clever as it was a sabre ask and the conductivity was still good even though there was a design on it. The spiderman mask we did for L Halsted ( http://www.leonpaul.com/news/team_s/la_halst.htm ) went to be approved 2 months ago and still we have had no reply so he rang them and I think its ok till last 16 or something.

At the World Championships a couple of years ago (2001 maybe?) they didn't allow Milanoli (Italian Epeéist) to fence with his Psycho Clown mask in the last 64/32/16 (delete as applicable), as it was a distraction. Not sure what the FIE stance is on all of this, or whether it has moved on since the clown incident.

It might make the sport more "TV friendly" if they did allow custom designs on the masks, such as club colours, logs and the like. This may have more appeal to those outside the sport than just using clear masks to spice up the interest in the sport. It could be along the lines of crash helmets, ice hockey goalie masks, and the like.

The nationalistic icons (flags, crosses, dragons, etc...) would be a natural progression of colour being implemented with the lamés using tricolour patterns, the go faster stripes, Addidas stripes and coloured arms on jackets. It seems to be the direction the sport is evolving in clothing wise.

Personally I like the idea, and could think of various designs that could be used on teh masks. Although, the paint would have to be hard-wearing and custom made for painting on a surface that expects to be marked and scraped (again crash helmet and goalie mask paints).

Just my thoughts.

In answer to the actual question on the FIE's stance on painted masks, I have no idea!

Sorry for the ramble.

Cheers boss

personally I reckon they do more for the sport than the transparent masks

Originally posted by Kingkenny
    You have to get the mask approved by the F.I.E. if you want to use them in a-grades.
    The Braveheart mask was done at LPaul and was clever as it was a sabre ask and the conductivity was still good even though there was a design on it. The spiderman mask we did for L Halsted ( http://www.leonpaul.com/news/team_s/la_halst.htm ) went to be approved 2 months ago and still we have had no reply so he rang them and I think its ok till last 16 or something.
    Now that's a cool mask!

I like the ice hockey goalie masks, like the classic Dryden target mask:

or here's another Spider-Man mask one:

They are really good I am sure I could do something like the last one on a see though mask so the mouth was open round the visor.

They are really good I am sure I could do something like the last one on a see though mask so the mouth was open round the visor.
    That sounds really cool KingKenny, I'd love to get a mask painted up. You've probably guessed that from all the posts in this thread. I think it would be eye catching and a change from the normal masks. Just another step in the evolution of the mask after those coloured masks grew from the plain black ones. It's just getting hold of a second mask and getting someone to paint the design that's holding me back. I don't think I'd have much problem from using it in competitions, as I don't usually make the last 16!

Here's an example of Cujo the mad dog that is pretty much the standard way that Goalie masks use open mouths, it was worn by Curtis Joseph when he played in St. Louis.:

I think it could be a good basis for the visor masks, I've seen goalies use dogs, lions, sharks, dragons etc. with an open mask before.

A more sword based one would be this Buffalo Sabres mask worn by Gary Bromley in the 70's:

If you want to get anymore mask ideas and links to current artists then PM me. I can point you in the right direction to see what other artists have done to personalise goalie masks. Personalised masks usually fall in to two styles: using the club logo and colours (this could relate to country designs); or a design that's got significance to the goalie (like Spider-Man or whatever).

Wow! Those are eye catching designs - very nice.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Kingkenny,

what would be the cost of these things - for instance, if I handed you my existing Sabre mask and asked for, say, a shamrock or Irish tri-colour to be put on?

I guess you could also do a small motif on the side of the mask rather than cover all the mesh.

I don't think the sport should turn into WWF wrestling, but as I said I reckon they're great, especially if the designs, like Halstead's, are unique (tho that would lead to an increase in cost).

ps surely a great design would be the mask from "Scream"

Not to be a spolisport or anything but don't you think it could get a bit daft and out of hand. Designs like that would be distracting and could make the whole sport somewhat farcical, whats next...cheerleaders? Hmmm, on second thoughts

Jambo,

I'm more worried about looking iike a clown - literally. I really hate these brightly coloured uniforms. I think they look like clown outfits already.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Yeah, thats what I meant. Team/Country colours and emblems are one thing, wacky designs are not a good idea IMO.

God you lot are boring a bit of colour never hurt anyone. If you want to wear white wear white if you want to wear colours wear colours. Its like fashion I would not wear a skirt like becks but I would not try and stop him.

Baaaaaa!!!!!!! To all the people who are scared of change.

(Ps I could do a mask but not right now (bussy for 6 weeks solid)and you would be best coming in to the lp show room and I could show you how to do it and then you could do it yourself next time.)

Thinking of when I fenced Braveheart (Hoeningman I think it was) it wasn't distracting so much as intimidating!

I think colours on masks/clothes is definately the way forward. I even ordered a red sabre lame and waited for it the get specially sent over from Germany than get a boring silver one.

(Identity now officially blown)

Manchester, and feeling slightly guilty about not having been fencing :-(

Scratch this message. If you read it before I deleted it, it just goes to show that I cannot read.

(Ps I could do a mask but not right now (bussy for 6 weeks solid)and you would be best coming in to the lp show room and I could show you how to do it and then you could do it yourself next time.)
    Seeing how to put a design on a mask would be very interesting. I'd like to see the process that would need to be taken. I may take you up on being shown how to do it next time I pop into the LP show room.

Designs on the side meshing would be good, such as the GB stripe pattern could go across the entire side mesh at the back (maybe this has been done), or a lion and unicorn on each side of th emask staring forward. I like the idea of being able to personalise our masks. I think team/country colours would be a start.

I presume it would be easier to do masks for Foil and Epée as they are not conductive like Sabre masks.

The best in the mouth mask I've seen is this one:

That's probably enough images and ideas for now.

Note to self, stop abusing the Image Link button...

Foil and epee masks are much easier but the sabre ones look amazing whan done properly.

The trick with sabre is to get the angle of application right with a spray gun. then you have to remove all the ink on the surface of the mask by hand just leaving the material inside the mesh.

Now that sounds like a lot of hard work. but the results must look awesome.

I guess it needs to be done on a new mask before the bib is attached to get the best results.

Here is a picture: