Thread: Crossing lateral boundary

Default Crossing lateral boundary

A quick technical question.

How do you judge when a fencer has crossed a lateral boundary?

I ask because the rulebook doesnt seem to make it clear whether the boundary is the inside or the outside of the line marking and whether it is all or part of the foot which must cross the boundary for Halt to be called.

I have always assumed that it was the outside of the line and it was any part of the foot. Is this right?
    Owner of goFence.com

"I dont get mad ..... I get stabby""

The whole of the foot must be off the piste.

As to the line, if the piste were metallic then off the piste is off the piste.

If the piste is merely taped then the foot must be outside the line

Hope this helps.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

It should also be considered that the piste is a 'volume'. All lines effectively project upwards, so judging on/off becomes a 3 dimensional excercise, in time and space.

Originally posted by ihunter
    It should also be considered that the piste is a 'volume'. All lines effectively project upwards, so judging on/off becomes a 3 dimensional excercise, in time and space.
    Which is why it is absolutely essential that referees stay level with the fencers - you cannot possibly tell whether a foot in the air is over the back line or not, if you are standing at the centre line where so many referees seem to become rooted to the spot.

Originally posted by 3 Card Trick
    The whole of the foot must be off the piste.

As to the line, if the piste were metallic then off the piste is off the piste.
    Metallic pistes are often longer then a fencing piste. So there will still be a line. I saw a hit be given against a fencer at the Nationals who had gone off the end of the fencing piste, but still had one foot on the edge of the metal piste.

srb

Quote Originally Posted by pinkelephant View Post
    Which is why it is absolutely essential that referees stay level with the fencers - you cannot possibly tell whether a foot in the air is over the back line or not, if you are standing at the centre line where so many referees seem to become rooted to the spot.
    Not me....I've always moved with the competitors...for the reason you stated, especially for the end line.

Side is a little more difficult, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    Not me....I've always moved with the competitors...for the reason you stated, especially for the end line.

Side is a little more difficult, of course.
    Good advice. I'm wondering though whether the rules have changed in the last 16 years.
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.