Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Features/Changes

Default New Features/Changes

(should this be a new thread?)

0: Reporting Bad Posts
    Obviously a feature that no-one wants to have to use, but since it's not obvious, at the bottom left of a person's posts under their Avatar is a little traffic sign. This is the 'Report Bad Post' button.
    The other two icons here are the green light (whether a person is online or not), and the 'scales of justice', used for giving Reputation on a post (see later).

1: Smilies
    If you can't get the smilies to work, try this.
    Have you got 'basic text box' selected in your user options?
    Click 'User Cp' towards the top left of this page. In the navigation boxes down the left hand side, click 'Edit Options'.
    Scroll right down to the bit right at the bottom titled "Message Editor Interface".
    If you have: "Basic editor - a simple text box" selected, change it to one of the other two options, depending on how recent your web browser is. The WYSIWYG option should be the best, if you run into problems with it then choose the other one. This will give you the smilies (and other formatting options).
    One other nifty improvement - clicking on a smilie will add it at the current position of your cursor, not always at the end of your post.

2: Custom Avatars
    To select a custom avatar, go to User CP (see above for help), and select Edit Avatar. If you have made at least 200 posts, you will now be able to upload a Custom Avatar. If you have made less than 200 posts, you made only be able to select from the existing forum avatars.
    To upload a custom avatar, either create an image of the right size (less than 50x50 pixels or 19.5k), and upload it to the forum, or put in a link to an image of the appropriate size somewhere on the Web.

3: Custom User Titles (the little bit of text above your avatar and below your name)
    If you have enough posts to select a Custom User Title, go User CP --> Edit Profile. In the second orange box down, titled 'Optional Information', there should be a box 'Custom User Title'. It will tell you your current user title, and let you either click the Reset checkbox (which will revert the title back to the default for you postcount e.g. Senior Member, Forum Guru), or input your own, which will replace your existing title.
    You can also enter more information in the boxes below; the Location field is displayed next to all your posts but I don't think any of the other information is. There is no longer a link to your Homepage from your posts.

4: Reputation
    Notice to the lower left of everybody's posts is a little 'Scales of Justice' icon/button? This is how you give Reputation on a post. Clicking this will allow you to give your opinion on a post. This will do two things. Firstly, any comments you make will be displayed at the bottom of the relevant posters User CP page. You can either give Postive (green) or Negative (red) opinions.
    Secondly, there should be a running score of all the reputation a person has received, to indicate who is the most highly regarded - or not!
    Notice the little green box immediately under a person's post count? This is a measure of someone's reputation. Hold your mouse over this, and it will give an indication of their reputation. For example, as I hold my cursor over Fencingmaster's little green thingy, it says 'fencingmaster is on a distinguished road'. I believe that as reputation increases, the number of little green boxes will also increase (though possibly not for the majority of posters as over in fencing.net).

5: Seeing the top ten posters
    Click on 'Members List' to the right of User CP, and then click Posts to order people by postcount.

6: New Posts - seeing all new threads and posts on the forum since your last visit
    Click the 'New Posts' link to the right of User CP.

6: WYSIWYG Editing
    This version of the forum allows WYSIWYG ('What You See Is What You Get') editing.
    This means you can use it like Word - just select some text and make it bold, and it appears bold, without messing around with tags.
    However, it is not supported in all browsers - and the 'Switch Editor' button is apparently dodgy. I would recommend against using that button if you have already written a post out in the box - it may mangle it.
    I think you may need IE to get the spell-checker, which will appear as a button in the top right of the 'Message' box (above the smilies).

7: Quick Reply
    Next to every post is a Quick Reply button (the unlabelled one immediately to the right of the Quote button). Clicking this will take to immediately to the bottom of the page, to the Quick Reply box. Here you can post your reply without going through the intermediate stages of going to the Post Reply page. Note that this will ONLY quote the message you have chosen to reply to if you click the 'Quote message in reply?' checkbox.
    If you wish to add fancy formatting and/or smilies and don't know the codes off by heart, you will need to use the traditional Quote button or click 'Go Advanced' in the Quick Reply box.

8: Editing and Deleting messages
    As before, you can Edit a message and/or Delete it by clicking the Edit box. PLEASE NOTE: this box only appears on posts that a) belong to you and b) you can still edit. You cannot edit a post after 5 minutes.
    In this new forum version, clicking Edit will not take you to another page, it will open an in-line edit box - your post in the middle of the page will suddenly become editable, much like a Quick Reply box. As with a Quick Reply box, you don't get access to all the smilies and formatting - just some. To get it all, click 'Go Advanced' which will take you to an Edit Reply page with all options. Click Save to save your changes
    To delete your posts, after clicking Edit go to the bottom and select Delete. You then need to select Delete Post and click Delete This Message. You may wish to give a reason - a deleted post in this forum version is not totally deleted. A box is left saying: 'This post was deleted by gbm' or whoever deleted it (normally you).

9: Edit Signature
    Fairly obvious, click User CP, then Edit Signature. No explanations needed here...

10: Profile Pictures - Pictures which appear in a user's Profile page.
    For these, click User CP then Edit Profile Picture (if the link appears for you).
    Then either upload a profile picture, or give a link... easy
    "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"

Split into new thread and stuck

Thanks GBM

what about uploading pics from your pc?

Quote Originally Posted by gbm
    [B
    5: Seeing the top ten posters[/B]
    Click on 'Members List' to the right of User CP, and then click Posts to order people by postcount.

Why would anybody be interested in this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdb811
    Why would anybody be interested in this ?
    Sorry - repeating myself.

Lead Performance Coach at Nottingham University

Quote Originally Posted by Rdb811
    Sorry - repeating myself.
    And to, state the obvious, increasing your post count!
    British Fencing AASE Assessor
    British Fencing Coach Developer

Veteran Foil Champion of Szombathely 2015 and 2016!!

As.............

I..........

am.........

doing..........

..................here!

Well done and thank you GBM..."helpful Monkey" indeed....as for FA... playtime???
    Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive....

Maggie Lloyd-Jones

I don't like the new image for 'you have posted in this thread' - it is not very clear.
    Hoping for support from Dyson

Ok GBM - I'll bite; what do you want?

Cynical Gav is feeling suspicious of someone in an Internet community actually being helpful without being asked.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

This was work avoidance from more unpleasant things! (i.e. my third year project)
    "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"

This is how i avoid servicing weapons at work. you'd not belive how dirty rifles and pistols can get.
    Nowhere near as hairy as TARMAC

7: Quick Reply
    Next to every post is a Quick Reply button (the unlabelled one immediately to the right of the Quote button). Clicking this will take to immediately to the bottom of the page, to the Quick Reply box. Here you can post your reply without going through the intermediate stages of going to the Post Reply page. Note that this will ONLY quote the message you have chosen to reply to if you click the 'Quote message in reply?' checkbox.
    If you wish to add fancy formatting and/or smilies and don't know the codes off by heart, you will need to use the traditional Quote button or click 'Go Advanced' in the Quick Reply box.
    I have tried to do quick replies a few times, but it hasn't worked. Whenever I click the 'quick reply' button, nothing happens. Any idea why?
    Jack Boteler
    British Fencing Leadership & Coaching Intern

Just chillin'

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsta G
    I have tried to do quick replies a few times, but it hasn't worked. Whenever I click the 'quick reply' button, nothing happens. Any idea why?
    So when you click the Quick Reply button, you can't type into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page? What web browser are you using, and do you have Javascript disabled?

So when you click the Quick Reply button, you can't type into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page? What web browser are you using, and do you have Javascript disabled?
    That's right. When I try to do a quick reply a dialogue box pops up telling me to click the 'quick reply' button, which doesn't work. My browser is AOL, I'm not sure if I have javascript enabled, how do I tell??
    Jack Boteler
    British Fencing Leadership & Coaching Intern

Just chillin'

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsta G
    That's right. When I try to do a quick reply a dialogue box pops up telling me to click the 'quick reply' button, which doesn't work. My browser is AOL, I'm not sure if I have javascript enabled, how do I tell??
    Go to the control panel of your computer, and click on "internet options". It's in there somewhere, depending (I think) on which version of Windows you're using, assuming it's a PC you've got.

EDIT: I'm just saying this off the top of my head, so may not have been totally accurate. Don't know if there's another way of checking without going into your control panel.
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/