+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epee blades

Initiate mattv is on a distinguished road

Default Epee blades

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Blaise Frere FIE Maraging size 5 and a Paul FIE Maraging size 5 such as which is the better blade?
    Cheers
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday!

Mavis Thornton pinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond repute pinkelephant's Avatar

They are a different shape and therefore have different weight/flexing characteristics. The LP blade is a V-cross section instead of the usual triangular one, so it contains less material and is therefore lighter. It's not a case of which IS best, but what SUITS YOU best (as I am always telling Sixth Formers when they are trying to choose universities).

Forum Rabbit 2D6 is on a distinguished road 2D6's Avatar

Maybe he means the forged paul blades...

In which case i'm not sure, i quite like the Paul ones, but to be totally honest i cant tell the difference.

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

If you want the best (IMHO), try BF Blue blades, very well balanced, great to fence with, though pricy, Allstar-Uhlmann sell them.

Have used them for last 5 years or so with fairly high success.

To back up what cesh says i'm currently using 2 blue blades and 2 lp forged blades. The blue blades are very nice blades, but they seem more determined to bend in awkward ways than the lp blades.

Weight and balance are very similar, to be honest.

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2D6
    The blue blades are very nice blades, but they seem more determined to bend in awkward ways than the lp blades.
    I agree that the BF Blues do bend in awkward ways if you abuse them.

It is the same as buying a car a, 2nd hand fiesta you will probably not care about abusing, a top class mercedes you would use properly and take care of.

GGenerally good technique saves a lot of money as your blades survive longer whatever type you buy.

You could be right there. I have an annoying tendancy to duck too much, leading to a slight bend upwards about a foot and half from the tip.

The bend was alot worse when i pommeled, mind.

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Sho...ectric_22.html

the extended info now shows the weight of each blade and the point of balance as measured from the shoulder. We are now stocking LP, BF white, gold and blue and Viniti.
    in order of stiffness most stiff first Viniti>BF>LP
    in order of weight heaviest first Viniti>BF>LP
    in order of lifespan longest lasting first LP>Viniti>BF

In order of best to worst NO way>am I opening>that can of worms!!!

Alex

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutLP
    In order of best to worst NO way>am I opening>that can of worms!!!
    Go on - you know you want to...

Personally I've never used a Vniti, but I can vouch for both the BF white and LPs being nice blades. Since I only fence the cursed weapon a couple of times a year (and hardly ever hit anything when I do), I have no idea as to the average lifespan.
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

Forum Rabbit wahrman is on a distinguished road wahrman's Avatar

Interesting...have they changed?

I've got two Vniti blades (2004) if I remember correctly, and they are the
    most flexible blades I've ever seen. Too much so. They're like fencing with
    a wet noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutLP
    http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Sho...ectric_22.html

in order of stiffness most stiff first Viniti>BF>LP
    in order of weight heaviest first Viniti>BF>LP

Alex

Initiate Firthy is an unknown quantity at this point Firthy's Avatar

Just out of interest are the Viniti blades supplied with a GT ultra slide tip like the paul maraging or an ordinary tip because it does not say?

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firthy
    Just out of interest are the Viniti blades supplied with a GT ultra slide tip like the paul maraging or an ordinary tip because it does not say?
    GT tip, I will add that.

These Viniti blades are STIFF...

+ Reply to Thread